The picturesque village of Kornos is located
in the Larnaca district at a distance of about 27 kilometres
west of the city of Larnaca and 25 kilometres south-west of
Nicosia. The community of Kornos stands at the centre of the
three large cities of Nicosia, Limassol, and Larnaca and at
such a distance that one can cover by car in a period of time
that does not exceed 25 minutes.
Kornos is built upon hilly grounds at an
average altitude of 320 metres above sea level, receiving
an average annual rainfall of about 454 millimetres. Citrus
fruits (mainly lemons, tangerines, and bitter oranges), olive
and locust trees, cereals, forage plants, vegetables (melons,
potatoes, and head cabbages), and a few legumes and fruit-trees
are cultivated in its territory.
Apiculture was developed in Kornos since
old times. The village's honey is known throughout Cyprus
for its excellent quality. Today, 5 small industries in the
community are professionally occupied with the production
In the context of the Vasiliko -- Pentaskinos
watering project, a refinery was constructed in the region
of Kornos so as to distil the water exclusively designated
for the water supply of the city of Nicosia. The refinery,
which started operating for the first time in December 1985,
is supplied with water from the water-dams of Lefkara and
Regarding transportation, Kornos is connected
to the village of Delikipos in the west (about 3,5 km), the
village Pyrga in the east (about 3,5 km), and to the historic
monastery of Stavrovouni in the south-east (7,5 km). The new
Nicosia - Limassol highway crosses outside the village, at
a distance of about 1 km east of the village.
The village has gone through a big and remarkable
growth of population since 1881, when the inhabitants numbered
325, until 2001 when they increased to 1862.
is especially known for its pottery craft,
the reputation of which has surpassed the borders of Cyprus
and receives world-wide recognition. In the Annual Pan-Hellenic
Exposition of Pottery in Amarousio, Kornos has received honours
and first prizes. For the manufacture of the clay pots, soil
is transferred basically from the foot of the Stavrovouni
Mountain and from the region of the Xylia Mountain to the
pottery workshop of the Kornos's Co-operative Company of Potters.
In the Company's workshops, after the soil is ground and pulverised
with special machinery, it is kneaded so as to become the
malleable matter to be used for the making of a variety of
red pots that include large jars for the keeping of wine,
flower-pots, pitchers, censers, "kyvertia" (type
of earthenware cylindrical beehive used in apiculture), urns,
small ovens, and various other decorative items. The pots/vessels
are often decorated with a variety of engraved and embossed
excursion site of Kornos was created about 1,5 km south of
the village, next to the Nicosia - Limassol highway, being
under the jurisdiction of the Forests' Department and having
a capacity of 150 persons. This excursion site, which is located
amongst pines and cypress trees, eucalyptuses, acacias, terebinthes,
lentisks, and wild olive trees, offers the comforts necessary
recreation and relaxation.
The village also maintains -to a great degree
-its traditional folkloric architecture with the tiled roofs
of the houses, the walls built with sun-dried bricks and sitting
on stone-made bases, the arches, and the wooden doors &
The village was in existence at least since
the Frank Domination era and can be found marked in old maps
under the exact same name: Corno
"Ali Beys", in reality the Spanish
Domingo, who saw Kornos while passing through Cyprus in 1806,
I could not obtain any information about the origin of the
village. It must be old. It may contain thirty houses at the
most. Its position is very pleasant, in the midst of a small
valley ridden with olive and locust trees. Almost all the
inhabitants are occupied with pottery. The surrounding mountains
are covered with cypress trees that grow in dense tufts here
The village's church is dedicated to St.
John the Baptist and was built in the beginning of the previous
century. In it there is an icon of the honouree saint that
dates back to 1734.
Quite close to Kornos there was a small
settlement named Kornokipos, just like the village in the
district of Ammochostos. In reality, this small settlement
was an extension of the village and it is not marked as a
different village in official maps.
are various interpretations regarding the name Kornos:
One version reports that it came from the French word "corne"
or the Italian word "corno" (just as the village
is found marked in old maps), meaning horn, protrusion. This
interpretation is consolidated because in the village of Kornos
there is also the name "Kornoi" (pronounced "Korni",
plural), pertaining to two nearby mountaintops that are sharp
and resemble horns, whilst the mountaintop of Pentadaktylos
also looks like a horn.
Another interpretation reports that during old times many
crows, which in the Cypriot dialect are also called "Koronoi"
("K┘PONOI", plural, pronounced Koroni), nested in
the mountains that surround the village. The village took
its name from these birds after removing the ┘ (Omega). Thus
it first became "Kornoi" and -later on -was converted
to the singular Kornos. Finally, according to tradition, the
village took its name from its first inhabitant that was named
"Koronos", who seems to have been chatty and hoarse
like the homonymous bird.
Kornos (cornus) is also the name of a plant
from the Umbelliferae family, which however one does not come
across in Cyprus.
Nevertheless, there is the possibility that the name Kornos
preserves a similar ancient name, since it is proven through
an epigraphic testimony exactly that -in ancient Cyprus -there
was a settlement called Kornos.
There are ancient remains in the village's
region, proving that it was inhabited since Antiquity. A tomb
in the north-east borders of the settlement was examined formerly,
dating to the Cyprus's Archaic -- Cyprus's Classical eras.